Tuesday, May 18, 2010

OCD check

I used to laugh at my friends who cleaned up before the cleaning lady came over. . . now I totally get it. It is not just that you don't want someone to see how much of a slob you can really be when left to your own devices although that is a motivator. Mostly it is just that I want her to dust, mop and clean the showers. She shouldn't be wasting her time picking up my dirty laundry or loading my dishwasher. Those are the easy tasks that I can accomplish.

My behavioral concern is different. While I will now accept that it is "normal" behavior to clean for the cleaning lady, is it normal behavior to spend an hour after she leaves putting everything back where it belongs? I'm not talking about moving heavy pieces of furniture or even trash cans. I mean doing silly things like re-centering the candle on the table, or moving the picture an inch to the right, or re-stacking the magazines because they are no longer stacked exactly the way I had them.

I long ago accepted that I am a little Obsessive Compulsive, but always felt that I stopped short of disorder. Not so sure I still fall short. This can't be good - think I'll go wash my hands again.

No comments:

Post a Comment