Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Company You Keep

My mom always advised that I should be careful about the company I keep. Her theory being that you are less likely to get into trouble if you don't hang out with people who make getting into trouble an art form. Not sure what she will think about this.

I just finished some CBLs (computer based learning) modules on human research. I want to enroll patients in a new study so I have to learn how to "treat them ethically." As one might imagine and hope, there are a million rules in place regarding research on humans. In fact there is a whole government agency called the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) that controls said research. A few of the rules seem ridiculously obvious - must have consent for research, must explain risks, must not lie to subject, etc.

There is one rule I find particularly disturbing. The OHRP has established certain "protected groups" that are either prohibited or extremely restricted as candidates for research. For example, children, mentally challenged and institutionalized patients have severe limitations on their use as research subjects. This I understand completely. However, one such "protected group" is classified as subjects in "Extreme Hierarchical social situations". Who falls into this group you might ask . . . military personnel, prisoners, and oh yeah - medical professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment