Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Inspired . . . and a little abashed

I watched the Democratic National Convention last night. Just let me say, strong political leanings aside - I was inspired. I would argue - be you a Democrat or a Republican - Michelle Obama's speech makes one proud to be an American. She argued for the value and persistence of the American dream. Being as I am currently also living said dream (my parents couldn't afford college, but yet sent me to medical school), it brought tears to my eyes. Being a democrat, it also made me VERY proud to live in a country that is starting to see past the color of one's skin and slowly breaking thru the glass ceiling. I went online and bought my Obama t-shirt.

However, I also listened to her speech with a growing sense of embarrassment. She spoke eloquently of the "responsibility" of those with privilege to provide for those with need. I listened thinking that I use my "busy" schedule as an excuse to not be more involved. Following the above T-shirt purchase, I went over and offered my services to the Girls Inc of Philadelphia. They emailed me today and want me to come in for an interview to see how I can be of most use. I am excited. I have been given so many opportunities in my life - I would like to start giving back more. I'll let you know how it goes.

Completely unrelated - today's calendar quote struck me as funny and true.

" 'Normal" is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it."
- Ellen DeGeneres

No comments:

Post a Comment