Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Miami Lessons

Just got back from Miami. Head home tomorrow. I must say that my time here in Nashville has been great. I always knew that I had great friends, but I had forgotten how much I actually liked them. A special thanks to my friends Bassam and Kris for allowing me to disrupt their lives for the last two weeks. . . also thanks for lending me your kids for some much needed munchkin time.

Spent the weekend in Miami looking for a Condo to rent. I learned a few lessons. First and foremost, condos with water views are all extremely nice and pricey. I ended up sacrificing a walk to the beach for an extra bedroom. I found a cute 3 bedroom on Brickell Key. I am not sure how to arrange the furniture around the wall to wall windows, but hopefully I will think of something.

Lesson two - I do not own nearly enough sparkly clothes. For that matter, the clothes that I own all seem to have too much material. The clothes women wear in the day time in Miami would work only at night time on a street corner in any other city. Either Miami has a lot of "working girls" or women in Miami are WAY less body conscious than the rest of the world. For my guy friends, while many women in Miami have the body for next to nothing, not having the body does not seem to stop Miami women. I can honestly say that I will most likely be the most conservatively dressed woman under 50 in all of Miami.

Lesson three - I may be in for even more of a culture shock than I thought. I walked for six blocks yesterday and heard not a word of English spoken. I am sure that I will do fine at work, but I think if I want to get anywhere socially I have got to get bilingual quickly. If nothing else, this will make for some interesting blogs over the next few months.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found a place. You know, I have a maternity band you could wear as a tube top if you'd like to borrow it . . . .

    Glad you enjoyed your vacation! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete