Monday, October 18, 2010

Do you believe me now?

The weekend didn't start off the most promising. After a horrible case Friday, I went home and crashed. Unfortunately, the mental exhaustion wore off around 2 am at which time I was awake. I called in and checked on my patient, and then spent the rest of the time till dawn wide awake but physically exhausted, so not wanting to be. I finally gave up trying to sleep around 6 am. I showered and ran into work (on my weekend off). Everything seemed okay so I went to the gym, and then ran to Target before my hair appointment.

As I was getting my hair trimmed, my stylist was telling everyone that would listen (as she always does) that I am a surgeon. She actually says "La Cirujana de Thorax" as she only speaks Spanish. One of the ladies that she was telling this to responded, "you mean she is going to be a surgeon?". My Spanish, I am proud to say, is finally good enough that I understood what she said and could reassure her myself that I was indeed already a doctora. She didn't believe me in Spanish or English. I actually had to show her my driver's license before she would believe my age.

That was then. This is now. Since that one highlight, I have spent way too many hours in the OR, and the ones not there were spent worrying about needing to go back. I most definitely look my age and a couple of other people's today. After the lung transplant that is slated to start at midnight, I may even be offered a senior citizen discount at IHOP tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment