Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Are you REALLY only as old as you feel?

Okay - although I complain a lot about my age, in actual fact - most days I feel like I am still pretty young. I don't think of myself as "middle age". I know that I have been out of college for a while and that I was 14 when my mom was my age, but all that aside - i still feels young and relevant. [I mean let's be honest - I have been flirting with twenty year old lately.] Oh, how much a single day can change your perspective.

The day started innocently enough. I was doing an anterior mediastinal mass resection, and as the case was going really well and I was sans staff - we were all laughing and telling stories. I was telling some tale about when I was in medical school. At some point in the story, I mentioned that the parents of the two year old who could not afford $3.00 for antibiotics had no difficulty buying him a pair of Air Jordan's. This is where my story takes a frightful turn.

My medical student innocently asks "what are Air Jordan's." I pause for a minute and look around. I have an anesthesia resident, medical student, two scrub techs, one circulating nurse and two nurses observing in the room - a full house. All who look barely old enough to drive. I then ask the unthinkable question - "Who in this room was born after 1980?"

EVERYONE IN THE ROOM RAISED THEIR HAND!!!!!! I almost walked out right then and there. When did this happen? When did I become one of them? I, like Peter Pan, didn't want to grow up. I guess it had to happen some time - and for me today seemed to be the day. Well, I am going to rub on some BenGay and sit and yell at the television during the debate. Does this mean I have to start identifying with McCain?

No comments:

Post a Comment