Thursday, June 3, 2010

Addicted?

I read yesterday, that caffeine can contribute to stress. People who consume large amounts of caffeine have more difficulty managing acutely stressful situations than people who consume none or minimal caffeine. Since I am going crazy with stress at the moment, and consuming what has to be unhealthy quantities of caffeine, I decided to give up caffeine (for about the hundredth time in my life).

I am about 14 hours into life without caffeine, and already have the shakes. I'm tired, grumpy, sleepy and can't concentrate. I'm either having caffeine withdrawal symptoms or I am studying for a huge test. Okay so it can go either way. I am incredibly frustrated that I have again allowed myself to become addicted to caffeine. I am more frustrated that I decided now was a good time to fight this particular demon. I know one thing for sure - I'm giving up reading.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you are having such a rough run. I have been caffeine-free most of my life...I find it scary that I would fall into the category of "coping with stressful situations" better than those who consume caffeine! Perhaps this week I should be glad I'm caffeine free.

    Hope the studying passes quickly and you can outlast your addiction. You'll feel better once you get through this first part.

    I also think giving up reading is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete