Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Organization Overload

Anyone that has ever seen inside my closet would tell you that I like organization and order . . .  Speaking of closets, I recently changed out all of my clothes hangers to Huggable Hangers (am sure that is trademarked, but can't figure out how to add the appropriate symbol).  They have totally transformed my closet.  Unfortunate side effect is that I am so fascinated with how great it looks that I sometimes forget why I am in my closet, but I digress. . .   Bringing order to chaos is fun for me.  It's like solving a puzzle that leaves me with a tangible and pretty result.  It also gives the feeling of accomplishment as I make my lists and check my boxes.  Perhaps I also like the control aspect, but I contend it is mostly about the puzzle.

However when speaking of my upcoming move, I may have taken things TOOOO far.  When I caught myself arguing with the cable lady the other day that 6 weeks isn't too much notice for a cancellation date, I knew that I had a problem. 

Why has this move sent me truly around the bend?

Okay this one may be about control.

Historically, moves are not my thing.  That's not to say that I haven't moved a lot, and many of them across many states and long distances.  It is to say that among several things that I do very well, moving isn't one of them.  I have horrid moving luck. I have movers not show, belongings not show, elevators not work, trucks too "heavy" or too tall to gain entrance, my list of moving stories could feel an entire book.  Just typing this I already have that familiar feeling in the pit of my stomach that always approaches on moving day.  It's not a question of if something goes wrong when I move, it is more a matter of how many things will go wrong.

All of that being said, I have a moving plan.  I finish work October 18th.  I have a weekend to organize my place for the movers.  The movers pack up my condo and office on the 21st and they load my storage items on the 22nd.  My car ships out on the 23rd, and I take my flight the 24th.  My Nashville condo is set to move in as of the 25th, and I theoretically start my new job on November 1st. 

It sounds like a straightforward enough plan, but I'm not gullible enough to think it will actually work.

Well at least Gracie is a little older now - last time she had to help me move she was only 2...  


1 comment:

  1. Gracie doesn't even remember her mama yelling at the movers on the phone and getting snappy with your apartment complex manager! Oh wait, that's probably a good thing!

    ReplyDelete