Sunday, August 30, 2009

Moving - Part Deux

I opened this blog a little over a year ago complaining about my moving experience. Unfortunately the intervening year taught me very little. (I have recently learned however that my friend Jessica grades blogs on grammar and punctuation so now I am incredibly paranoid.)

Where to start? The pack up and store went surprisingly well. I notified my moving company a couple of weeks ago about my move in date. I was hoping to have the stuff here last Monday. They told me it couldn't be before Tuesday. The condo rules only allow one move in or out per day and Tuesday was taken. We settled on Wednesday, and I started the journey to Miami.

We arrived without incident on Monday, and I took possession of the condo. It is actually much larger than I remember, and has incredible bay and city views. We mostly rested on Monday and headed to the Keys on Tuesday. When I hadn't heard from the moving company by late Tuesday afternoon, I gave them a call. They informed me that my stuff was stuck in Georgia and wouldn't be here until Thursday. . . . small problem, the elevator was already reserved for Thursday!

I went to the condo management office and begged for an exception. They were gracious enough to grant me one, and the move was on for Thursday morning. Now I should mention here that I live on a small island. The island comes with very specific rules. The moving truck has to be a certain size, and can only be on the island at certain times. I was aware of these rules, and made sure that my moving company also had a copy. Thursday morning arrives and I get a call that my mover is at the gate, but can't get in until 9 am. I was actually foolish enough to think that this whole thing might actually happen.

Was I wrong! At 9:05, I get a call that the moving truck was too big. The moving company admits that they received my fax of the rules and regulations, but didn't bother to read them. I am told that they can have the stuff to me next Tuesday!!! When I point out that I had been promised delivery no later than Aug 28th and Tuesday is Sept 1st, I am told that they are sorry, but I should take solace in the fact that my stuff is only 1 mile away. I won't print my reply.

I again checked with the condo office, and of course Tuesday is already reserved. The current plan is to have delivery on Wednesday. I am of course no longer crazy enough to actually expect it to happen. Unlike last time, I have a few more things with me. I have a TV, my computer and study material. My Florida license still hasn't come through so no September 1st start for me. Hoping it will come through soon because I need the money.

In the meantime, I am trying to go with the flow. I keep reminding myself that in a couple of weeks this will all just be a funny story to tell. It has also given me some time to explore Miami, but I will save that for the next blog. Maybe I have learned something about moving after all.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good thing you're not a postal worker . . . . .

    ReplyDelete