Friday, August 21, 2009

Not from Around Here

I headed to Savannah yesterday to visit my friend Carl before I begin the long trek to Miami this weekend. While he was at work this morning, I decided to do a little site seeing around Savannah. Prior trips to Savannah when I was little mostly centered around Tybee Island and the beach so I thought I would see the Historic portion of town.

I love historic towns, and Savannah has all the things I love about them. It is full of beautiful old homes and charming shops and people. However, I was struck by all the tourists I encountered. I really didn't expect to encounter quite such a large number. I noted that most were "not from around here" (which for those of you who don't know is Southern Speak for people not born below the Mason-Dixon line.)

Since I happen to have a lot of friends "not from around here", I decided that I should offer a little Southern travel advice. Something that most of the people that I encountered this morning desperately needed. First and foremost, summer is NOT the best time to visit the South. I know that Summers spent sipping iced tea in rocking chairs on the front porch looks good on TV, any southerner will tell you that it a myth. Average summer temps here are in the high 90's this time of year, and don't even get me started on the humidity. Those of us "from here" spend as little time outside during the day as possible. Early mornings and late evenings are the only time that any sort of outdoor activity is even considered.

If at all possible, spring and fall are the best times to plan a visit. However, this brings up a second point. Seasons are a little different down here. Summer starts in late May/early June and lasts well into September. Spring here can start as early as late February, and fall usually doesn't begin until mid October. (True winter is a myth, but we consider January to be quite cold.)

If one finds themselves in the South in the summer, I offer some wardrobe advice. . . LEAVE ALL BLACK AT HOME. I recognize that black is de rigour for New York and the like, but fashion aside it is just too hot here to wear black. I was amazed at the number of people wearing dark and heavy fabrics. There is a reason that even men wear linen here - clothes need to breathe. I also recommend that you leave your jackets at home - even the "light ones". It DOES NOT cool down enough at night or in the morning to need a jacket. The only covering needed is the occasional restaurant that has the AC blasting. I would also abandon fashion and thrown on some flats. It is much harder to walk in heels when your feet are sweating.

Last but not least, as a personal favor to me, I ask that you say hello to the people that speak to you in the street. They are not going to ask for money and they haven't escaped from a mental institution. They are just doing what their mommas taught them to do - being friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment