Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Busy career woman seeks wife

No I haven't started batting for the other team, but I have come to a much better understanding of the so called "glass ceiling." I don't think women's failure to advance in traditionally male fields has anything to do with men being unable to "see" women in these roles, and everything to do with women not having wives to run their lives so they can concentrate on work.

For instance, I have a laundry list of life tasks that need to be accomplished - not least of which is actual laundry. I am somehow supposed to perform these things, and yet still spend 12-16 hours a day at the office and be on call every other week. I am willing to throw money at most of my problems, but at the end of the day I actually need to show up for some things - importantly at the moment a hair cut.

I thought I had a solution. I operated yesterday late into the evening so that I didn't have any cases to do today. My plan was to spend the morning catching up on the piles of paperwork that no one warns you about during residency, and take the afternoon off to do some Christmas shopping, get a haircut, go to the dry cleaners, drop some things off at Goodwill, etc etc.

Bet you have already guessed how this story ends. As I was turning off my computer, and telling my AA goodbye my phone rings. We have a transplant and need you to help. The case was supposed to start two hours ago, and yet here I still sit waiting. Number of things accomplished on my list - zero.

All qualified applicants encouraged to apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment