Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I forgot

Rainy season. When one lives in the Tropics there are trade offs - warm dry winters are great, but must be balanced with the wet season. For South Florida, that is June thru September - a time of the year where it rains every afternoon and sometimes all day for days at a time. We are currently going thru the latter. It has basically been raining here since Friday.

However, I am convinced it is called the wet season not for the rain per se, but for the fact that you always end up wet. Umbrellas are mostly useless here. Rain doesn't fall in a strictly up and down direction - it prefers a more side to side route. I tried a rain coat - I looked like a hot four year old waiting on the bus. Even if I could figure out how to keep my clothes dry and retain my dignity, my shoes are hopeless. I live in a city that is on average 6 feet above sea level. Let's just say drainage is an issue.

Oh well, I'm sure in a few months when I have finally dried out, and am enjoying the beach in December it will all seem worth it. As for now, it just seems damp.

No comments:

Post a Comment