Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Run don't walk

Native American story holds that you never really know a man until you can walk a mile in his shoes. I don't need anyone to walk a mile in my heels, but I sure would love to have someone run a mile in my sneakers. Specifically the first mile of every run that I do.

As most of you know, I am training for my first (and probably last) half-marathon. Things are progressing okay I think, I still spend the first mile of every run convincing my brain that I am not really going to die, and bribing my lungs to keep supplying oxygen. Shouldn't that be a more mile 7 or 8 problem? If I make it past the first mile, things usually get better, but the first mile always sucks. I'm sure this is all mental, but not sure how to fix it. Ideas?

2 comments:

  1. I hate the first mile, too. On really long runs, i hate miles 3-5. Being your first mile, be sure to program your ipod for your very favorite, upbeat songs first on your running playlist. You probaby only need three of them to cover the span of your opening mile. It really does help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree.... My first three miles always suck. Miles four through nine are my "golden miles", and then it gets rough for me again. I'm with Kris... sometimes sassy music gets me through. Other times, it's knowing that I can eat the biggest bowl of ice cream ever when I'm finished, and it won't matter because I just burned a billion calories :)

    ReplyDelete