Friday, September 12, 2008

Man eat Meat world

I was the only girl in my "Intern class" my first year of general surgery. There was another female resident (Buffy - Urology intern), but she had bigger balls than any of the guys. Since I knew no one when I moved to Augusta, I spent a lot of my first year hanging with the guys. Spending "guy time" is a job hazard. I am not a huge fan of action movies, steakhouses and sporting events, but spent a good portion of my first year of general surgery doing those exact things. Luckily, Kris moved to Augusta to marry Bassam, Amy, Jill and Darlene all became residents and I was able to transition back over to being a girl.

I was able to skip this whole "guy time" for the most part when I moved to Nashville. I already had girlfriends there (Kris had deserted me for Nashville two years prior), and we had a lot of really cool NPs and RNs that I quickly started hanging out with there. I have not been so lucky here. I have met quite a few of the nurses - and we do go out to dinner and shopping, but every other women in the world my age is married, so the "new bonding" time is limited. Therefore, I find myself hanging with the guys more and more. Interestingly they are also mostly married, but seem less concerned about losing "home time." This is what brings me to my latest story.

Danny, the first year cardiac surgery fellow on our team had a birthday on Wednesday. Phil, the second year thoracic fellow on our team had a birthday today. Therefore, we decided we should all go out to dinner and celebrate their birthdays. A place and day were picked and off we went. The restaurant was Fogue de Chao. This restaurant for those of you who have never been is a Brazilian steakhouse. I had never been, but heard that it was good. So the premise is that you go to your table and sit down. A waitress comes by and points to the salad bar - an impressively large and elaborate central portion of the restaurant. She then tells you about the coaster system. Next to your place setting is a red coaster that says simply stop. On the other side it is green and says go. You are instructed that once you are completed with your salad course you should turn your coaster to go. Magically and at quite a rapid pace, men carrying large skewers of various meat start arriving at your table. When you need a rest or are truly finished you simply turn the coaster back over.

Let's just say that I am now considering becoming a vegetarian. Too much meat. Don't get me wrong, the food was quite tasty, but it was overwhelming. (We all know how I get with an overabundance of choices.) I was a wimp and turned my coaster after a slice of sirloin, chicken leg and a small piece of fillet wrapped in the most amazing bacon I have ever tasted. The three guys at my table however took this dinner as a personal challenge. I have never seen so much food consumed at one setting in my life - and I am Southern. I still feel full just thinking about the dinner. I really need to get more girlfriends.

Currently watching the weather news. Keeping Texas in my prayers. Hopefully it will not be as bad as they are predicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment