Saturday, September 20, 2008

Perfect Fall Day

Fall has come to Philly, and let me tell you it is fabulous. I decided yesterday to turn off my air conditioner and open my windows. Therefore, I was awakened this morning to the sounds of the city waking up with a crisp and cold bite to the air. I snuggled into my covers and listened for a while. It is amazing what you can hear in a city if you really listen. Once up, I had a quick breakfast and then headed out. I dropped off some dry cleaning and decided to walk around downtown. The weather was perfection defined. It was cold enough for long sleeves, but not uncomfortable.

I was wearing my Obama t-shirt and ended up having quite a few interesting conversations. I may have finally hit on how to get people in this town to be friendly on the street. I picked up some coffee and heated to Rittenhouse square (Central park Philly style) near my apartment. They were having a fine arts festival and I was able to spend some time walking around looking at some truly amazing paintings. If only it were a year from now and I had a house - I would have spent some serious dough on wall art.

After finishing the festival, I walked across the street to Barnes and Noble. I truly LOVE book stores. I may have my mother to blame for my bad eyesight, inability for a truly flat stomach, and big ankles, but she made it all better by giving me a true love of reading. I smile just walking up and down the aisles looking at the books. I ended up buying the latest book on Oprah's book club - The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Now, I end up reading a lot of Oprah's book club books. She likes slightly more depressing books than my personal taste, but many of them have been quite good. I have never actually bought the book that was currently on the list. It just seems so drone like - you know I never want to be like everyone else. However, she made this book sound so amazing I couldn't wait to see for myself. It is only available in hardback, and I never buy books in hardback - mostly because I read so much that it would be cost prohibitive, but also because I actually like the ease and portability of paperback. None the less, I bought it and several other books that will probably take me years to actually get around to reading, but I am living for the life I wish I had not the one I am living.

After the bookstore, I picked up a bagel from my favorite shop for lunch and headed home. I had lunch did a load of laundry and then headed to the gym. After a workout, I took a quick shower and inadvertently a short nap. Once I woke up, I grabbed a blanket and headed back to the Square. I spent the rest of the afternoon reading and people watching. Once dusk set in I headed back home and had a nice dinner. I am going to catch a movie on TV and call it a night. All in all this was pretty close to a perfect day for me. Many more days like this, and you may not be able to get me out of the City come July.

No comments:

Post a Comment