Friday, January 23, 2009

I drank the Kool-Aid

So for several years now, I have tried to convince myself that I was different. (I know that I am definitely unique, but I mean something else.) I have told myself that I am not the "typical" Thoracic surgeon (for this blog Thoracic includes both heart and lungs). As a specialty, we are often admired and respected, but not the ones that you are buddies with. I arrogantly believed that I was wasn't like them.

Today I found out differently. I was given the "opportunity" to go to a Medical Oncology national meeting being held here in Philly. Today's topic was the treatment of lung and esophageal cancer - so of interest to me. National association meetings are unique experiences. I can still recall my first trip the the American College of Surgery. Today was my first opportunity to see how the Medicine guys did it - let's just say differently.

Thoracic surgery meetings are funny to me. If you put a lot of Thoracic surgeons in a room, you are guaranteed a lively debate (if not a true fight), lots of arrogant bragging and an incredibly formal proceeding. For the meeting itself, everyone in the room will be in a black or dark blue business suit - including the women (few that they are). I wore dark green once and stood out like a sore thumb. For the evening events that call for casual - no blue jeans or dockers for us. Mean wear dress pants with a sports coat - tie still a necessity. Women wear nice pants/skirt with twinset or other equally formal top.

Although we think nothing of calling each other out during presentations, the rest of the conference has a very polite, but formal air about it. He may call you an idiot trying to kill people during your presentation, but will be smiling and telling you about a similar case that he had during the break. It is all about being seen and heard. You have to "play the political game". All conversations involve some topic that is being presented or relevant to the specialty. No small talk here.

Food is always plentiful, and coffee until noon and alcohol in the evenings is a must. The prime seating in the room is always the back rows. I think mostly because no one stays seated for long, too much ADD in the room. People freely wander around the back of the room and play on their Blackberries. Anyone feels comfortable interrupting the speaker at anytime for questions or comments.

This is my comfort zone. These are the things that I am used too. This is not how the medicine people do it - by a long shot. I show up in my suit (which I can finally fit into again), and am one of the few. The only others were all my Thoracic surgery colleagues. There were people in blue jeans - they don't even let our technical staff wear blue jeans. People quickly filed into the conference room and took their seats near the front. No one had to come out to the buffet and threaten people to come inside so we could get started. During presentations, no one spoke or got up or played on their phones. People only asked easy questions, and never openly disagreed with the presenters. During breaks, conversations were about children, sports and vacations. I felt like I was on Mars. Turns out I am much more of a Thoracic surgeon than I thought because it all felt wrong. Turns out I like formality and inattention and contention - it makes things interesting.

The content of the conference was okay. It reinforced what I already know. Medicine guys spend way to much time thinking about things that don't seem to make much difference in the long run. All I can say is pour me another glass. Turns out the Thoracic Kool-aid tastes pretty sweet to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment