Monday, March 30, 2009

Shapeless

So I have past out of shape and moved right into the shapeless category. Let's just say that I have been less than stellar about going to the gym these days. I would love to blame my job which is usually my go to excuse, but I spent most of the day on the couch yesterday doing nothing. My excuse for not going to the gym - I didn't want to.

Why can I not get myself motivated? Part of the problem is my perception that I don't have to work out. For reasons that are beyond my understanding, I have been able to continue to lose weight despite my laziness. Ergo I don't "need" to work out. Now the obvious answer to that is I could lose weight faster or perhaps eat more if I were willing to expend some calories in the gym, but we really shouldn't confuse my whole premise with facts.

The even better reason to go to the gym is that I am horribly out of shape. I just climbed two flights of stairs, and was short of breath when I reached the top. We use ability to climb stairs without shortness of breath as a criteria for lung resections. Luckily I don't smoke and have less chance of lung cancer because I am not sure I could qualify for a resection. One would think at least my competitiveness gene should kick in a little here. My friend Kris ran 10 miles this weekend - all at one time. My friend Bree ran 20 miles - on purpose!?! I have no desire (nor quite frankly the ability) to compete in their leagues, but shouldn't I at least care about looking like such a slacker around them?

No comments:

Post a Comment