Monday, February 8, 2010

Cravings

Why do I only find myself wanting something once it is no longer available to me? What does it say about my personality that the minute I can't have it - I convince myself I can't live without it? Nothing good I am sure.

To what do I speak? Meat. I am doing a little veggie experiment. For the next four weeks, I have sworn off beef, chicken, pork and fish. Why? Turns out, I don't actually eat very much meat - at least the quality stuff that most would consider meat. Animals consumed in my diet come from the freezer or thinly sliced from the deli counter. It seemed logical that since I was already half way there - to attempt to go all the way.

I am also hoping to spice things up a bit. My diet has become incredibly boring. I have about 5 things that through some combination supply me with 3 "square" meals a day. That can't be healthy! Before last night, I honestly don't remember the last time I tried out a new recipe.

I keep reading all these stories about the health and environmental benefits of vegetarianism. Technically vegan is supposedly the best, but I just can't wrap my brain around the idea of giving up dairy. Perhaps I am just not meant to lose those last 10 pounds, and will just have to take the train to work. At least this is a starting point. All journeys begin with the first step. My road is just currently cluttered with images of cheeseburgers and fried chicken.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the club! Hope your experiment goes well. I find that sometimes I need some "heartier" foods - some of the soy based foods help. There are soy nuggets that are tasty, and a few veggie burgers, and Tabatchnik makes a great veggie chili. The key is to eat a variety of foods and don't forget the proteins!

    I also could never give up eggs and milk products. - Jessica

    ReplyDelete