Thursday, February 25, 2010

My favorite thing

I always list the disadvantages of being a woman in a "man's" world. Today I thought I would focus on my favorite thing about being a woman in this world I inhabit. Low expectations. I am being completely sincere - and I will explain.

I spend most days dressed in scrubs, a hat, no make-up and no jewelry. The only "girly" thing about me - my cute pedicure that no one else can see. Occasionally (lately way less frequently than I should) I "dress up" - by that I mean I actually wear what most people would consider real work clothes. It is usually when I have a meeting or clinic days.

The only thing I have to do to elicit compliments about how nice I look - put on a dress and brush my hair. If I "go the extra mile" and throw in make-up and a pair of heels, the compliments get a little embarrassing. I have spent the entire day accepting compliments and laughing off jokes about my evening plans.

I would love to tell you that I deserve it, but alas, I do own a mirror. I am wearing a simple black/white sheath dress and a pair of 3 inch black heels - Jennifer Aniston I am not. It is simply the benefit of usually looking like crap - the bar seems to be lowered to a level that even I can step over.

No comments:

Post a Comment