Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Not even close

So we seem to rip off quite a few British shows here in this country. Many with a great deal of success - All in the Family and The Office just to name a few. However, I recently caught one of the latest and it was horrible. Unfortunately in writing this, I am having to reveal one of my closest guarded secrets. Here goes. . .

I love the BBC version of Top Gear. It is hilarious. For those of you who don't happen to have BBC America, Top Gear is a TV show about expensive cars. Yep that's right - I said that I really enjoy watching a TV show about cars. In my defense, the first time I watched I was just being polite. I was at my friends Beth and John's house, and he was watching it. However, since that time I have been hooked. Although the show is ostensibly about cars, it is truly about the cynical and quick witted three hosts. Sure you get to see some amazingly unaffordable cars with incredibly loud engines, but you keep turning in to see what Richard, James and Jeremy are up to this week.

Therein lies my complaint about the new American version that I accidentally caught the other day on the Discovery Channel. It is at it's heart a car show. The three hosts seem completely devoid of humor and or cynicism, and instead see their job as telling me the latest about whatever car they are previewing that week. This is not why I watch this show.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with the original.

1 comment: