Sunday, November 23, 2008

Priorities?

Okay - I finally caved in today and purchased a winter coat. I resisted for many reasons. I even convinced myself that perhaps I didn't need one and could make do with the myriad of coats that I currently own. Then it got cold. Not that normal low temperature cold, but the wind is blowing and icicles couldn't survive in this weather cold. I headed to the store.

I heard they had a sale at Macy's and as that required only a quick walk downtown I decided to check it out first. The downtown Macy's in Philly is really quite spectacular. It is in a terrific old building with all these hidden nooks and crannies. Love it! They were indeed having a pretty terrific scale and I got a Calvin Klein "puffer" jacket with hood and most importantly sans fake fur trim for 60% off. I was feeling quite proud of myself. It is even red - one of my favorite colors.

On my way out I decided to stop in the Estee Lauder counter. I still hadn't caught a "gift" time, but was really scraping the bottom of the moisturizer container. Therefore, I decided to suck it up and pay full prize without the gift. I initially felt good about being at the counter. The sales lady raved about my skin and its "lack" of wrinkles. (I know that is her job, but it still makes you feel good.) Then I payed the bill.

I payed only five dollars less for my 1.7 ozs of Revitalizing Lift face cream than I did for my heavy winter coat. Perhaps my priorities are a little screwed up? I probably would be feeling less guilty about this if I hadn't had to pass several homeless people as I entered the store. I donate to charity and contribute old clothes to Goodwill, but for the amount of money I just spent on face cream - I could have bought one of those people a new winter coat! My vanity and conscience are currently having a brawl. Will let you know how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment