Saturday, May 9, 2009

Comfort Food

When most people think of comfort food, they dream of mac & cheese, roast beef, mom's apple pie. Not me - I think french fries. I don't know why, but as long as I can remember, french fries were my go to food. I can pass up potato chips, baked potatoes, and mashed potatoes, but I have never met a french fry I didn't love. They quite simply make me feel better.

I needed feeling better this weekend. I was on call Thursday night. It wasn't a horrible call, but I can think of much better ways to spend the night. However, it left me feeling vulnerable on Friday. I couldn't keep up my sunny front. The reality of my situation overwhelmed me all of a sudden. I spent the car drive to my apartment crying on the phone to my mother. Once home I showered and took a nap hoping to sleep it off. It didn't work. I woke up in the same funk. I settled on the couch with a bag of Pita chips and hours of mindless television.

I decided today that my funk needed sunshine. It was actually a sunny day here in Philly. It has been cold and rainy all week so everyone was out. I started at the bookstore. Thanks to my mom, bookstores always have the ability to make me feel at least marginally better. I picked up a few books and then headed to the retail stores. I actually bought a shirt at Anthropologie. I am not sure that I will ever have the nerve to wear it, but at least it felt like a step outside my box. I hit all my faves - Ann Taylor, Loft, Talbots, J Crew, Gap. I didn't buy much beyond my books and shirt, but started feeling better.

Funny aside. . . I was looking at a ridiculously priced shirt at J Crew when I overheard a lady ask the salesman if they had anything smaller than the 00. It was a little big at the waist for her. I mean seriously. Double Zero!!! Should they even make a zero? Doesn't that by definition mean that you don't exist as a size?

I still was feeling a little overwhelmed by the jobless thing so I decided to stop for some french fries on the way home. I haven't found any great fries here. At home - Zaxby's are probably my favorite, but here I had to settle for regular old fries. Don't get me wrong, all fries seem to work, but I like to expend my wasted calories well. I don't know that I am feeling at the top of my game, but I at least no longer feel like jumping off a bridge. Maybe I will try the movies tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment