Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Maybe they are on to something

So as some of you have read and others have experienced, people in medical training now have limits on how many hours they can work a week. The limits have been met with mixed reviews. We all know how much I love being told what to do. For the most part, I have thought they were silly, and besides a little part of me recognizes that I need to be able to function post call.

I was on call last night. I had for me a typical call. Very busy for most of the night with 2 cases and about 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I came home around 9 am this morning. I needed to run several errands, so I took a "quick" nap and headed back out around 1 pm. Grocery store, Target, Mall and oil change were on my agenda. I started at Target. I spent 30 minutes wandering the store picking up the couple items that I needed. I lacked motivation to move quickly. When I got up to pay, it occurred to me that I had left my house and gone shopping with nothing but my car keys. . . no license, no money, no credit card. After a return trip home, I only made it to the grocery store and target today. I decided I am not safe for more than that today. Maybe the powers that be are on to something. Patient care probably not within the realm of my capability today.

No comments:

Post a Comment