Wednesday, December 17, 2008

More English than I thought

Surnames aside, I have always considered myself to be completely American. Yes, with names like Baxter, Bennett and Barrett, my ancestors were Anglo-Saxons, but quite honestly "came over" so long again - I don't think it counts. I have always been somewhat envious of my first and second generation friends. They sometimes complain about the difficulties of straddling two cultures, but they have a tangible tie with their past. My relatives on the other hand were most likely sent to the "New World" as prisoners in Georgia's penal colony for debtors. I can't honestly say that a lot of the "old ways" have been passed down to me. (Except of course my knack for spending lots of money.)

Or so I thought. I have come to realize over the years that a lot of the "colloquialisms" that I heard growing up are actually British in nature. I actually grew up hearing things such as the boot and bonnet of the car, spot of something to eat, and we actually spoke of fortnights. I am not sure how random phrases made it through the Americanization of my relatives English, but they did. (If only a little less of the Appalachian hills accent could have penetrated.) I have always been an Anglophile when it comes to literature - maybe it is the language that attracts me most.

As I write this, I am enjoying a cup of tea between cases. Although I drink coffee, sometimes by the vats full, I prefer a nice cup of English Breakfast tea to relax. I have also come to realise that my temperament is very English. I am more aware of that here in Philadelphia where there is such a large Italian population. No offense to any of my Italian ancestored friends, but that much emotion must be exhausting. I am not sure I exactly qualify for the "stiff upper lip", but I do tend to keep my emotions pretty tight. I consider myself to be a fairly good listener, but I struggle talking about my problems to a lot of other people (sorry Kris - you lost out here as the one person that has to hear everything).

I am not sure why this is important to me, but maybe I am growing nostalgic as I age or something. I just think it is nice to have some ties - however small - with those ancestors who came before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment