Friday, October 23, 2009

And I paid for this?

One of the to do's on my "getting a real life" list was hiring a trainer. I want flat abs, but if I can't have them at least give me a little muscle definition somewhere. I am not asking for miracles (I know exactly how old I am) - I just want to be able to show that some effort went into the way I look.

I have a workout room in my condo building, but it is always empty. I prefer that feeling of shared sweat and pain that you get from a busy gym. I also figured it would be easier to meet with a trainer. I did some research, and decided to splurge a bit and join Equinox. In reality, it is not a huge splurge because they give a fairly sizable discount for doctors (who knew that would come in useful someday). The main reason that I picked Equinox is that the trainers there have great reputations - it helped that it is incredibly pretty and located next door to a Jimmy Choo store.

I had my Equifit test this morning. Basically, you meet with you trainer and she/he tests to see how out of shape you really are. They do weight, BMI, body fat percentage, flexibility, strength and VO2 max tests. The theory is to track your improvement in 6-8 weeks. Let's just say I have a lot room for improvement.

My problem areas according to my trainer: body fat percentage of a 50 year old woman, flexibility of a 90 year old man, weak lower back and lower extremities, and asymmetrical upper extremity strength (rt MUCH stronger than lt). This getting a real life stuff is more depressing than I thought.

3 comments:

  1. That's why I don't have a trainer... I prefer to live blissfully ignorant of my physical imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he really say that? Seems, oh I don't know, just TAD extreme!

    Having said that, it leaves oodles of room for improvement. When you reach your goal, walk next door and celebrate with some JC's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - you are right - if you are paying them, they should be nicer! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete