Wednesday, October 7, 2009

High Maintenance Hair

I have made peace with my hair - for the most part. Do I occasionally dream of waking up one morning with a full head of thick, luxurious hair with a slight tendency to curl - sure, but who doesn't? I recognize the limitations of fine hair, and am just happy that I at least have a lot of baby fine hair.

All of that being said, I still get very nervous when I have to go to a new place to get a haircut. (One of those limitations is it doesn't hide a bad haircut.) It is becoming increasingly likely that I will actually start work next week, so it was time to hide some fairly impressive roots. . . first impressions and all. I asked around, got a couple of names and set out to find my new hairdresser. I found an incredibly nice lady, who doesn't speak more than two words of English, but we managed well enough.

I left the salon feeling pretty good. I had good color, no roots and as much body as my hair is capable of giving. It was Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama, just not quite as blond. It also cost me about half of what I usually pay. Went to bed feeling pretty good.

I woke up this morning with the shaggy, tousled hair of a teenage boy. Not good. I ran a brush through it, and ended up with the hair of the Partridge Family (they all had the exact same haircut so take your pick). Trying to remain calm, I broke out the hairdryer and a curling brush. Two hours later, although not the same as yesterday, I had hair that could be seen in public.

The problem - my idea of hair maintenance is a comb before an air dry. In desperation a low pony tail. I don't currently have the length for a pony tail and the know how for maintenance. I guess baseball caps here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment