Wednesday, October 14, 2009

No Prince Charming for Me

The glass slipper no longer fits - for that matter, neither do the blue paisley heels, the red open toe heels, or the black patent leather flats. I have spent the last 3 1/2 months either in flip flops, running shoes or barefoot. It didn't occur to me that there would be consequences. I was just going for comfort.

Last week, my play time ceased. In the real working world, they frown on flip flops - even here in South Florida. As many of you know, I have a "couple" of pairs of shoes. Like most girls who have struggled with weight, shoes were always something I could buy and feel good about. Regardless of the scale, I was always a 7 1/2 medium. I say was because something seems to have happened to my foot. I put on a shoe, and it feels fine when I leave the house, but after 8 hours at work they have transformed into torture devices. Now each morning has become a game of which shoe hurts my existing blisters the least, and where are the new blisters going to pop up.

These are not new shoes. These are not shoes that I haven't previously worn to the hospital hundreds of times. These are shoes that I normally spent hours in walking around the hospital at unnaturally fast speeds for a girl my height. Currently, these shoes hurt to sit in all day. What happened? Did my feet grow? Horror of horrors - did they get fat? This is so unfair. It is common knowledge that your foot really does grow during pregnancy (has something to do with hormones released that loosen your pelvis), but no one told me that taking 3 months off would cause my feet to grow. I am choosing to believe that my feet have grown "soft" with all the vacation, and just need to toughen back up. Hope with me, because I REALLY love my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment