Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

It's only Wednesday, and I am exhausted. It has been a busy few days. I will give you a short recap:

The Good: The STS (Society of Thoracic Surgeons) is in Ft Lauderdale this week. I have been too busy at work to attend the meeting, but have "managed" to find time to have dinner with some friends and colleagues. It is always good to catch up, and reminisce.

Most of all, I enjoyed the physical contact. Everyone take the shocked and disapproving looks off their faces, I mean nothing risque by this. I am a Southern girl - we are tactile people by nature. Hugging comes just as naturally to me as dropping g's and pronouncing tire with three syllables. I love a good hug. My favorite, the bear hug that lifts you completely off your feet. No one in Miami hugs. . . or gives a decent handshake for that matter. (I could easily go off on a tangent here about wimpy handshakes, but I will resist.) Needless to say, I got in quite a few good hugs this week.

The Bad: Holes in places where they shouldn't be. My patients have all sprung leaks lately. I operated late into the evening on Thursday for a tracheal perforation. Monday it was essentially a lung perforation, and I was here ridiculously late last night for an esophageal perforation. Enough already - free air is actually quite expensive, stressful, and tiring.

The Ugly: Conjunctivitis. Somewhere between Monday night and Tuesday morning, my eyes decided red was the new black. They also tried to seal themselves off with a nice thick layer of crust and goo. Not sure how I got it, but no question some version of it I have. The hardest part is the not rubbing. It is better today, or at least easier to open my eyes this morning. Hoping it is completely gone soon.

I have only one case this afternoon. Hoping for an early day and a nap. I may seriously be too old for this lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry everything is springing a leak, but glad you got some "touchy-feely" time :). Hope the eyes feel better quickly.

    ReplyDelete