Sunday, January 10, 2010

Need a new vice

So I am currently in search of a new vice. Why you might ask. Simple really - I have been forced to give all of mine up. As I wrote earlier, my doctor has forced me to give up caffeine. My trainer has forced me to give up sugar, refined carbs and sluggishness. My job prevents me from taking up smoking or drugs. My moral center prevents my becoming a slut. What else is left?

Isn 't at least one vice needed? Necessary even? The dictionary defines a vice as a moral weakness. Isn't a little weakness okay. Being strong all the time has to be exhausting. Vices keep you grounded. They remind you that you are human. (I am a surgeon - a Thoracic surgeon - we occasionally need reminding that we are not The Higher Power.) Vices remind you that you are a work in progress, and never a finished product. Vices give you a place to turn when you are stressed, anxious, depressed or even happy.

I have been thinking a lot about vices today. Mostly missing mine.

1 comment:

  1. Time to start shopping with a vengeance?

    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete