Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lazy - Guilty as Charged

I had such grand plans. I would work here at Penn for July, take August off to move and be ready to start my new job on September 1st. Then I started doing the math - I don't like math, but was always good at it. Between now and my anticipated start date of September 1st, I need to accomplish the following:

1. obtain Florida license
2. obtain privileges for University of Miami Hospital
3. obtain privileges for Jackson Memorial Hospital
4. obtain privileges for Miami Veteran Affairs Hospital
5. fulfil billing criteria for University of Miami Physician Group
6. fly to Miami and find place to live
7. Move to Miami
8. Apply for my Thoracic boards
9. Study for my Thoracic Boards which are in October
10. Drop 40 lbs and increase my bust size by at least 3 cups

Oh, and did I forget that I was still expecting to hold down a truly "full time" job plus extra shifts on the weekend for money. What planet am I living on?

I have spent the better part of the last two days trying to accomplish number one, and am still days away from being even close to filing - much less obtaining a license to practice medicine in Florida. (No offense Jessica, but attorneys complicate things.) I spent much of my day at the police station being fingerprinted. I can't even wrap my mind around the remainder of the list. Don't worry #10 is a joke - at least mostly.

Therefore, today I came up with a new plan. Seven days from today will officially be my last day of training. After 10 years of post-graduate training, I am taking a break - a two month one. I decided after 120 months of residency - two months off would not cause the world to spin off it's axis. (Now this is just a theory, so if gravity starts failing us in July we know that I am to blame.) Hopefully this will not only allow me to complete my list, but add a few fun things to it. Perhaps visit some friends, get some munchkin time with Matt and Grace, sleep - dare I even say relax.

A voice inside of my head keeps telling me that this makes me lazy. It is probably right - I'll just learn to be okay with it.

2 comments:

  1. You deserve a little lazy! And with that huge list of things to do, I'm not so sure how lazy you will actually be. Hoping to be able to see you! And I'm not offended by the attack on my fellow lawyers - remember, I'm a RECOVERING attorney now

    ReplyDelete