Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sleep Deprived Musings

Fact - 6 hours of sleep in 48 hours is not enough for my 36 year old brain. Now I can proudly tell tales of "when I was a resident before the 80 hour work week" and we lived at the hospital. Stories of every other night call and days with almost zero sleep. Those stories would be true, but they were a different time - most notably, I a lot younger me time. I mean 10 years is a LONG time (decade as a matter of fact), and I personally think surgical years count something like dog years - each year should really count for at least three.

Why am I sleep deprived? Well I took a tour of airports the last two days. I am working on becoming quite the connoisseur. I went up for my interview at U Mass Tuesday evening. My plane was 4 hours late leaving Philly. I didn't make it to my hotel room until midnight. My flight back yesterday was 5 hours late, and I crawled very meekly into my bed at 3 this morning. As an aside, there should be laws against alarm clocks that go off at 5 am. We have 8 cases today so no rest for the VERY weary.

My interview went well - I think. I no longer trust my read on these things. (As a matter of fact I am currently having a serious crisis of confidence, but will leave that to another day.) I found New England to be quite charming, and the job has definite possibility. I fly (or at least attempt) to Miami on Monday. This entire experience, for lack of a better word, has been a great character builder and all, but I seriously need it to be over soon. I am not sure how much more I can take - mentally or physically.

Three cases down - five more to go. Just got to hold on.

2 comments:

  1. Hold on there sister!! You can totally do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! Hope you survived the day, and I have a good feeling about these interviews. - Jessica

    ReplyDelete