Monday, June 1, 2009

Chivalry

I miss chivalry. I feel a little guilty making that statement, but it is true. The feminist in me points out that I am perfectly capable of opening my door, and that they make ladders for top shelves. However, the Southern girl in me knows that even though I am perfectly capable to do all those things, that there is something very nice about a guy that feels the need to do them for you.

Maybe it is related to where I grew up, or maybe it is just a character flaw that I have, but I find chivalry nice. I don't look at it as a "weaker" vs "stronger" sex. I see it as a way of showing respect and honor. I think it is okay to recognize that men and women are not the same.

That last statement will get me into trouble with some of you. It has before - it ranks right up there with my theory that women can't have it all. Perhaps it is because I mostly work with men, but the older I get the more I recognize that men and women really aren't from the same planet. I am sure that some of these differences are related to the way that boys are raised, but I am certain that some are hard-wired. I don't argue that one sex is better, but I do believe that we are different, and I think celebrating our differences is okay. Now - let the recriminations begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment