Thursday, September 3, 2009

Something new everyday?

"They" say that you learn something new everyday. I have never really bought into that one. Several days go past where I sail through life blissfully unlearned. In the last couple of days, I have been "catching" up on those wasted opportunities. I have done nothing but learn new lessons.

Lesson One - - Although moving companies are not on my favorites list, I am developing a soft spot for moving men. I blogged earlier about the four burly Philly men who packed up my unmentionables. They were all incredibly nice and seemed to enjoy having a good time. Yesterday, four Latino men delivered my unmentionables. They have a job that I don't envy, but were super polite and went out of their way to welcome me to Miami.

Lesson Two - Great Views have huge advantages. I know this one seems obvious, but the advantages weren't quite what I was expecting. I realized it would be relaxing for me to walk outside and gaze at the water. I was unaware of how much everyone else would enjoy the view. Every workman that has been to my place the last week has exclaimed over the view. I invited them all to go out and take a look. While they are gazing around at the city in which they live, they offer great information. I now know locations for supposedly good restaurants, shopping, swimming, sunning, and hooking.

Lesson Three - Granite counter tops have no bounce. This is my first experience with granite counter tops (butcher block is plenty good enough for my mom who hates to cook). I love the idea of them - I probably wouldn't have gone with such a dark shade of black with matching tall back splash. Although I am learning that one must be more gentle that usual when placing things on the counter top. I have lost one platter and two glasses so far to this lesson. (Limestone floors also very unforgiving and COLD.)

Lesson Four - I have a serious shopping problem. Now this one is an oldie but a goodie. I am not sure why I can never get this lesson to stick. Every time I move, and try to cram all of my stuff into whatever place I am currently residing my problem is glaringly obvious. I always swear that I am going to stop shopping - usually lasts a month - and then I am right back to my old ways.

Lesson Five - Miami condos do not have coat closets. While this may seem like a logical choice to those who have always lived in Miami, it is ridiculous for the rest of us. I recognize that I have way too many coats for a girl that has spent most of her life in the South, but all I am asking for is a little corner somewhere to put them. Do people not have coats at all down here? Surely they didn't mean for me to put them in my jam packed walk-in closet? --- I refer them to lesson four.

Back to unpacking.

2 comments:

  1. Good lessons! The non-bouncing countertops have gotten me a bunch of times. The view sounds GORGEOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an amazing place!! I can't wait to see some pics!

    ReplyDelete